If you have one of the Panasonic Viera HDTVs that is internet ready, but does not have built-in wifi, then you have probably faced the issue of whether you should run a LAN cable or buy a HDTV/Blu-ray wireless adapter. Personally, we can’t stand the idea of running another cord through our house, so we decided to check out the Pansonic DY-WL10 wireless adapter. Can this device get the job done, or will we have to try and camouflage yet another wire?
Panasonic DY-WL10 Highlights
- Compatible with select Panasonic Viera HDTVs and Blu-ray disc player
- Adapter uses USB port
- Use Viera’s online platform to access certain internet content
- 1.8 x 2.9 x 1 inches
What We Liked About The Panasonic DY-WL10
- Size – The Panasonic DY-WL10 adapter installs seamlessly into the side of your Viera HDTV or on the back of your Blu-ray player. Its simple design makes it virtually unnoticeable except to the most particular TV owner.
- Cool features – Technically, the online features are built into the HDTV or Blu-ray device, but the adapter grants you access to the internet. With this connection you can do things such as stream movies from Netflix, listen to music from Pandora, surf YouTube, and chat on Skype.
- Easy Setup – If you set up your home wireless network then you should have no problem installing the Panasonic Wireless LAN adapter. It’s pretty much plug and play, but sometimes wireless networks can be temperamental. If you run into any problems just check out the Panasonic support site for help.
- Easy access – The Viera’s USB ports are located on the side, so it is easy to get to your wireless adapter if you need to unplug it or make any changes. Having to pull out your TV from the wall to reach your peripheral devices can be a pain, so this is a handy feature.
- Allows for TV updates – With the adapter, your HDTV or Blu-ray player is now online and can access available updates. This is a feature many are used to with computers and game systems, but is fairly new to TVs. As Panasonic creates new developments, you should see your HDTV steadily improve.
- Speed – Although the speed you experience will depend on your personal internet connection and the quality of your router, we found the Panasonic DY-WL10 adapter could keep up with any proper wireless setup. The buffer times were short and there were little to no delays while streaming online content.
What We Didn’t Like About The Panasonic DY-WL10
- No 1080P – Unfortunately, Panasonic doesn’t do a great job of advertising that this adapter doesn’t stream at 1080P — only at 720P. We could see how someone might be disappointed if they got this thing home and then realized they couldn’t watch Netflix at the highest definition possible.
- Price – Although the price has dropped (see current price), it still seems a bit pricey for a simple adapter. Granted, this is about the going rate for any type of wireless adapter, but it just feels a little worse when you have to pay for it on top of the price of the TV.
Panasonic DY-WL10 Summary
The Panasonic DY-WL10 LAN adapter is a straightforward device that does what it advertises. It seems like a simple little gadget, but it opens up so many more options for your HDTV. If you’ve wanted to access the web or watch Netflix movies from the comfort of your couch then this will make that possible — without the need to run an ugly cable through your home.